Tuesday, February 26, 2008

There's Always One...

This is a call for help and a sanity check. I'm knitting the bottom of my fair isle vest which calls for 16.5 inches of k2p2 rib. To date, I've completed 6 inches. But looking closely at my work, there are a few uneven stitches, popping and twisting about, vying for attention. There's always one, trying to be the superstar.

Certainly I know nothing is perfect and this can in the end add charm, but by golly I don't want all these bad stitches spotting up my 16.5 inches of ribbing! The ribbing is the bulk of the vest! I don't want homemade. I want craftsmanship! Am I needlessly obsessing or is there something I can do? Will it fix itself in the blocking process? If it matters to note, I'm knitting continental on circular needles, my tension is moderate and I keep my stitches close the tip, but not clinging to the edge (if that makes sense).

Now, it could be the yarn. This Jaeger Extra Fine Merino feels nothing like my favorite Karabella Aurora 8. Karabella's merino is soft, smooth and very forgiving on stitch definition. The Jaeger feels a little rough and heavier in my estimation. I don't know, I don't know...



2 comments:

Kris said...

You will be totally amazed at how good blocking can be.

If it were me and I was REALLY stressed about it...then I would bind off loosely and block what I had knit so far. It wont harm it and will give you a better idea of the finished product.

Kamika said...

I totally agree with Kris. From your first photo it looks easily fixable through blocking.