Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Visit to Stitches DC


A Visit to Stitches DC
Originally uploaded by k_purls2
Right off the Metro's Blue Line at the Eastern Market stop is Stitches
DC. It's not far from the Capitol area and I believe the area is
called Capitol Hill. The block that the shop is on reminds me of
Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. Lots of ecletic shops and eateries line
the street.

Stitches is a pretty shop, beautiful natural light and airy. I think
there was an outdoor courtyard. The front window reminded me of a
cupcake / candy "shoppe." Stitches has a front area and then a hall
leading to the back where there is more yarn and classroom space. I
give it an A for physical arrangement.

I finally got a chance to see and touch Spud and Chloe and some
interesting organic wool. I'm not sure what that means though. I
enjoyed the many samples on display including a beautiful beret knit
out of Blue Sky's Organic Cotton. The pattern is Springtime Beret on
Ravelry. There were also several lovely baby knits on display.

Stitches DC stocks a lot of higher end fibers, a great place to
splurge for the perfect hat, scarf or shawl or baby gift. I scored a
skein of Karabella's Supercashmere in a plush pink. It was on sale 50
percent off and still a splurge at $21.

While googling the shop, I ran across a blog entry from the White
House's Director of Public Engagement discussing a roundtable recently
held at Stitches regarding Healthcare Reform. Politics and yarn, I
like it!

Although I was nervous about my travel companions, the boys were well
behaved. I think the airy shop and serenity lulled them, or the
gynormous pizza slice I stuffed them with one block earlier bought me
20 minutes of blissful yarn shopping.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Thank you for the lovely compliments on my skirts... they are like potato chips, you can't just eat one. Especially, when there are only 2 pieces to sew..lol

I stopped by your site yesterday, but as usual didn't leave a comment, since I was blogging from my phone.

Now that I am looking at the shop in DC, it does remind me of the the stores located along Atlantic Avenue in Bklyn. There is a shop there called Knitaway.. cute spot and serene.

Virtuous said...

So glad you were able to visit a couple of shops in the DC area! Thanks for the great reviews on them and you picked out some gem yarns!
And great camera guy! ;o) Glad the boys did so well!!

@ 2AAT socks there is a small trick to not have "as much" tangle. If you place a pin on one of the socks and every time you turn your socks always turn in the direction of the pin (so basically when you ML you will go one way of the pin and then back the other way untangling the yarn). One of my knit group pals told me that tip. I do it when I remember LOL
But that is the only vice about doing 2AAT and I think it is worth the trouble!