Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Trying to Keep My Kool


Trying to Keep My Kool
Originally uploaded by k_purls2
I'm sitting in Daley Plaza by the fountain trying to do a gauge swatch
of Jared Flood's Koolhaas Hat. My great uncle, Willie is very ill and
stays cold, I thought I'd knit him a hat to wear indoors and I didn't
want something that fit or looked like a bulky winter hat. I've knit
this hat before and I do vaguely remember the challenges, but like
childbirth, I try hard to put such memories deep in the recesses of my
mind in case I decide to try it again.

I want to knit this by Friday and luckily for me, the Fall 2009
Interweave has an article on knitting cables without a cable needle.
So, here I am, attempting to learn, frogging incessantly. The other
issue is fiber. I'm trying to be a good yarn and money steward and use
what I have. I'm using my koigu sock yarn doubled.You guessed it, the
double yarn is giving me a headache. I'm about to try it single and
see what I get.

As far as the pattern goes, I'm not sure, can't remember if on the
first row the purl stitch is supposed to sit out the way it does, but
as I type this I kind of remember the centers combs being diamond
shaped.

Hopefully I have better luck working on this on the way home from work.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Good luck!

Lynette said...

i've been wanting to make the Koolhaas hat also. My friend Barb told me that the rows shift but i've yet to do it.

good luck with your hat. i can't wait to see it at the end of the week.